Author Topic: Google map links for the local meetup spots.  (Read 12715 times)

Offline PeteD

• View Profile
Google map links for the local meetup spots.
« on: August 28, 2011, 06:07:34 PM »
Would it be possible for someone to add Google Map links for the normal (if there is such a thing) meetup spots for the local and I guess not so local spots.

I hope to do some of the local runs soon and thought it might be worthwhile doing a dry run to see some of the starting spots for the local runs and it did not seem that obvious where the normal meeting spots were.

Google Maps is such an easy to use resource I thought it might be good to add them to the site.

Thanks.

Pete

Offline Griff

• View Profile
Re: Google map links for the local meetup spots.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 06:57:19 PM »
Pete

Unsure what your level of experience is, however if you are just starting then I highly recomend that you start by doing Pine Island to point Hut Xing runs to build your basic skills.  This run is grade two rapids and is very convieniantly close by.  When the river is up you will often find that some people will run this either before or after work during the week.  The meeting point is at Pine Island (the finish) and the put in is at Point Hut Crossing.

Once you have built your skills on this section of the river you can advance onto the Red Rocks run.  The meeting point is Kambah Pool and the put in is at Pine Island.  This section of the river is grade three with a compulsary portage grade 5.

I will be doing some Pine Island Runs this week.  Give me a call if you are interested.

Griff
0410 426329

Offline PeteD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 06:43:24 AM »
Thanks Griff,

I have done Casuarina to Uriarra and Uriarra to Wallaroo but in bigger boats, now that I have a smaller boat I am interested in doing the local runs to build up my skills, so I guess I am a novice/beginner. I can't normally do any during the week generally due to work commitments but the weekends are always a possibility. I have bought a Fluid Detox so am pretty keen to get out and try it out, only had it in the pool so far.

The main point I posted this is that I went for a drive to have a look where the put in points are and there seemed to be a few choices at each place, for Point Hut it could be either side of the river, at Pine Island there seems to be a number of places so again it was not obvious.

Thanks.

Pete

Offline reggie12yak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 08:09:56 AM »
Point hut : you can access from either side. Most put in on the western side of the river as it is easier access. Unless of course it is really tanking and the road is closed then we launch from the crossing itself.

Pine island: Generally exit at the stairs and beach in the middle section as you drive in.

This is also the launch point for PI to Kambah run.
Kambah take out is the bottom right carpark.

Offline PeteD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 07:08:14 AM »
Thanks Rohan,

This is the whole problem though. How does someone go and find that info other than finding it here in your post?

Cheers.

Pete

Offline reggie12yak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 08:32:25 AM »

I have learnt these locations when joining others on trips the same as everyone else does.

If I have been unsure I have asked someone else going on the trip that has done it before.

If none of us had ever done the trip we drove there and worked it out.

It's worked up till now.

The NSW canoe guide was also helpful even if a bit out of date.

We didn't have google maps when I started paddling. I can see how it could be helpful to some but i don't think I will be using it.

Offline PeteD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 12:40:36 PM »
Well no I guess you don't need to do you?

Offline alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 07:36:32 AM »
I kind of see what you are saying but it is pretty easy to use google maps to work out the best spot to put in and take out.  Basically just look for the closest spot you can park a car to the water.  If there is an easy way to make a map with some markers happy to do something up.

Offline alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 05:19:09 PM »
That is pretty sweet, I see how that can be set up. For most local runs I am not sure it would be much use, for more remote runs and tricky take outs (eg Lower Molonglo) it would be handy.