Author Topic: New to Kayaking in Canberra  (Read 12642 times)

Offline maullin

• View Profile
New to Kayaking in Canberra
« on: November 05, 2017, 08:46:57 PM »
Hi,
I'm hoping to get into whitewater kayaking. I live in Canberra. Are there any clubs that do this near to the ACT?
Thanks,
Paul

Offline Griff

• View Profile
Re: New to Kayaking in Canberra
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 06:39:08 PM »
Hi Paul

You are best to jump on FB on the kayakcanberra page.  Essentially there are no clubs in Canberra, however there is a strong paddling community and lots willing to give you some advice and some of their time.

Regards

Griff

Offline maullin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 07:32:18 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I went to look for Kayak canberra on Facebook and couldn't find anything? Is it a group?

thanlks,
Paul

Offline alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 10:52:45 AM »

Offline yellowbandit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 02:06:42 PM »
There is a whitewater skills weekend on Sat-Sun (I can't get there):
All

Registrations are now open for the Whitewater Skills Weekend.

I know several of you have already informed me that you intend to come along but you will need to go through the official registration process on line which you will find at https://www.registernow.com.au/secure/Register.aspx?E=27829 .  This will help us ensure that we have sufficient equipment and instructors for everyone and we have all of your details for safety and emergency purposes.  You will need to register each person from your household who is coming but you can make a single payment at the end of the registration process.  You will need to register before 10th November (preferably earlier) as we have a lot of logistics to organise.

Details about the weekend can be found on the River Canoe Club Website at http://www.rivercanoeclub.org/content/white-water-skills-weekend-beginners-and-intermediate .

Some of you have been asking specific questions about the weekend so here are the answers:

Q. Who can come?

A. It is open to participants in the PaddleNSW Junior Development Program and their parents and members (junior and adult) of PaddleNSW affiliated clubs such as River Canoe Club, Burley Griffin Canoe Club and Penrith Valley Canoe Club etc.  We will be running instruction sessions for those who are new to white water or who want to improve their white water skills.  However, paddlers who are confident on white water are welcome come along and enjoy a paddle on some very pleasant Grade 2 white water.  More info on the website about the river conditions.

Q. What if I am not a member of a club or program?

A. You can join a club or, if you want to try  before you buy, there is a single event membership available on the registration page which you can upgrade to full membership afterwards if you wish.

Q. What is the cost?

A. There are three cost components but how many of them you will incur will depend on your needs.

·         Participation – this is free to members of PaddleNSW affiliated clubs and to participants in the PaddleNSW Junior Development Program.  There is the single event registration available to adults who wish to just participate in the weekend (if you are a parent of a PNSW Junior and not a club member you will need to pay this fee or join a club).
·         Equipment hire – if you have your own boat, paddle, pfd, helmet and spray deck or you are part of the PaddleNSW Junior Development Program there will be no cost for these.  Otherwise they can be hired from RCC for $50 for the weekend.  However, we do need to know if you need a boat as we need to arrange the logistics so please indicate that on the registration form even if you are a junior who does not have to pay for it.
·         Camping – we are rough camping (tents) at a public reserve next to the river and there are no camping fees.  However, there are no amenities so we are hiring a portaloo for the weekend and the cost will be shared between all of the adult campers (whether paddling or not).  That will cost somewhere between $10 and $15 per adult for the weekend, depending on how many people come along.  We will collect cash for that on the weekend.

Q. What do I need to bring?

A. Tent, sleeping mat and sleeping bag to sleep in.  Fuel stove or similar for cooking (we may not be able to have a camp fire).  Food and plenty of drinking water (the water in the river is fine for swimming but I wouldn’t risk drinking it).  Clothing to protect you from the sun, the rain and the cold.  If you are paddling, warm clothing to paddle in – e.g. thermal, woollen jumper or wetsuit (the water is coming out of a dam and is cold and it can get windy too which means even on hot days you can feel cold) and shoes that can get wet but will stay on your feet when swimming (lace up or buckle up shoes or sandals or wetsuit boots – not slip on swim shoes as they will get lost if you come out).

I will send out more details, including how to get there closer to the date (and just to those who have registered).