Author Topic: Fresh Content.  (Read 10669 times)

Offline CapnKooky

• View Profile
Fresh Content.
« on: April 07, 2007, 11:09:31 AM »

Offline alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh Content.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 04:25:51 PM »
Done.

Offline Fay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 11:22:58 PM »
The beach at Forster that's the fresh content is 1 mile beach I believe.

Offline alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 12:42:31 PM »
i have a planing hull, which i guess is a carving hull? its flat bottom, ie not displacement.

Surf is pretty different to white water, skills are shared, but surf is much more predictable and easy to read.  Rivers have water going every which way, if you drop the wrong edge at the wrong time you get flipped, which is the same in the surf, but picking which edge you should have up is obvious. Generally i find it a lot harder to stay upright on a "river" (penrith) wave, then a surf wave.

Its hard to explain the differences now i try, but i find rivers much more of an adventure, but surf is easier to find.

Offline alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 04:01:38 PM »
are you talking about just paddling down a river or surfing a standing wave on a river?

in both cases the difficulty generally comes when the boat is not moving at a speed slower then the water, ie when you get stuck on a rock, in a hole, or on a wave.  In these circumstances it is very similar to being in the surf, you need to lean in the same direction as the water is traveling relative to the boat.

Offline uwhnick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 04:27:59 AM »
Whether surfing a standing wave on a river or a traveling wave on the ocean, the principles are exactly the same, but I personally find the ocean a bit easier because...

a) The water in front of you when you are surfing in the ocean is below you, as opposed to a river where it has to flow down a drop to create the wave so it starts above you, and as a result there is much less chance of pearling your bow.

b) There aren't any eddy lines in the sea.

c) The wave face on an ocean wave is usually more planar, whereas on a river there might be quite a small sweet spot which will hold your boat.

In both cases you lean and carve exactly the same though, ie get your upstream edge out of the water, which is your shoreward edge when you're in the sea.