Author Topic: Best kayak for Canberra region  (Read 7499 times)

Offline Seank

• View Profile
Best kayak for Canberra region
« on: January 24, 2016, 07:18:45 AM »
Im after some thoughts on the best kayak to buy for whitewater paddling around Canberra - mostly the Murrumbidgee and around the Snowy Mountains with an occasional trip to Penrith. I am a beginner, 172cm tall, 70-75kg.  Have done a few whitewater courses overseas, have paddled the Murrumbidgee on old perception dancers a bunch of times and flat water paddle a V10L (surf ski) once per week.  I have only ever borrowed kayaks in the past, so I don't really know where to start in terms of buying a whitewater boat.  Second hand seems sensible for a first boat. All ideas appreciated.

Offline Griff

• View Profile
Re: Best kayak for Canberra region
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 07:36:21 AM »
My advice is to buy second hand.  Based on your height and weight you will be looking for a medium river runner / creeker. If not already join the kayak Canberra FB group and throw up a post.  The new Dagger Nomad will be in Australia soon and I suspect that there will be a number of people looking to sell second hand boats at that time. Good luck.

Offline Mae.95

• View Profile
Re: Best kayak for Canberra region
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 05:47:07 PM »
I'm also new to Canberra and was thinking about buying a new kayak. But Griff is right. It is way better and cheaper to buy a used one. I bought mine on http://www.used.forsale/australia/canberra/kayak about one month ago. Maybe you can check out this site as well.