KayakCanberra.com Forums
October 23, 2020, 04:42:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

FORUMS Home   KAYAKCANBERRA HOME Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Murrumbidgee River Trips  (Read 4752 times)
Danriordan1

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2014, 08:25:26 AM »

Hi,

I am new to Canberra. I am living here during the week and moving down at the start of next year. My background is slalom kayaking and canoeing, play boating and down river racing during high school (ten years ago). I have grown up on the coast training in the surf but competing in places like Nymboida, Penrith, Eildon etc. I have not paddled a Kayak or Canoe for a long time..

The reason for this post is i have just discovered the mighty Murrumbidgee river! I have a few questions about trip friendly sections etc with regards to day trips.

I would love to paddle the entire upper section of the river over time in a series of runs on weekends here and there. This would be as much of the section above tantangara reservoir as possible. Tantangara reservoir all the way to Canberra. Obviously i wouldn't be doing this in one go.

If someone can point me in the right direction or shed some local knowledge on the possibility of this that would be great.

Thanks.

Dan
BJ

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 04:42:14 PM »

Welcome to the forums Dan.

I don't know much about the Bidgee above the Bredbo to Collington, except that some guys have done some paddling below adaminaby.  Roll Eyes

Keep an eye on the forums for any local trips if your keen to get back on the water soon.

There is a rad trip running on the snowy tomorrow! Grin
Danriordan1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 05:16:17 PM »

Ok good to know.

Will do and thanks for the reply.
goofy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 12:14:08 AM »

Dan

I met you on Wednesday morning at Point Hutt.  I've got some spare kit which you could borrow if you get stuck.  I'm sure some of the other guys would be happy to help out until you get setup and paddling again.

Geoff
uwhnick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 09:36:04 PM »

There is a book which describes pretty much every section of the bidgee, all the way down to the Murray. The bit just below tantangara is a great, continuous gr 3(4) bit that needs the dam to either release or spill (about 1500 ML/day is good). From there down to Cooma is pretty much 2-3 with LOTS of flat water. There's a cool gorge just below bredbo and then more flat water until angle crossing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: