KayakCanberra.com Forums
October 26, 2020, 04:27:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

FORUMS Home   KAYAKCANBERRA HOME Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rafting red rocks  (Read 5149 times)
sbm

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2014, 12:07:20 PM »

Hi guys,

Our uni club is considering bringing our raft on the red rocks section on the 'bidgee this weekend. The guides and crew are pretty confident having done the Shoalhaven at 1.7m two weeks ago.

I thought I'd ask for some local knowledge about rafting though. Looks like 2.5 - 3.0m at Lobbs Hole would be a good level, with 3.5m starting to get very high.

At what level would you say is becoming high enough to have really dangerous flood conditions? like unable to reach the bank through strainers, unable to scout, and difficult to take out and portage the chasm and toaster.

Obviously we will scout and make our own decisions on the day but I would be great to get some info for future reference from someone who's rafted the section before.

Thanks,
Sam

Eddy. Sweep. Roll. Repeat.
uwhnick

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 02:46:40 PM »

I don't reckon that there's any such thing as too high on Red Rocks.  The low average gradient means that there's always plenty of time to get out between rapids and a lot of the features disappear completely when its really high.

At 4m there's still a decent eddy after Junkyard but before the Chasm.  At 5m the centre channel on the Chasm starts to flow and around 6m it becomes the main channel, but you can still eddy out if you hug the left bank.  I'd also say that there's no need to portage toaster at anything over 3.5m, since the nasty undercuts are a long way underwater, as is the entire boulder on the right.

All that being said, I don't think you'll have really high water on the weekend anyways.  I'd be surprised if its more than 3.5 to be honest (though it is admittedly hard to predict sometimes).
BJ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 09:10:02 PM »

Starts to get a little chunky around 9 meters   Grin
reggie12yak

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:14:16 PM »

Depends on your guiding ability and the size of the raft.

I've guided it at 2.05 and the highest about 4.5m I think many years ago.

trickier at lower levels really.

4 metres plus in a small raft 11 footer, can be a bit pushie though.

What raft are you paddling?
sbm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 02:26:55 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah definitely I'd prefer a higher level, and the bidgee is a big river than can handle plenty of water, but you're more likely to swim out of a raft.

Dunno much about raft types/size, it has 3 thwarts, we put 6 people and a guide in it. 11 foot sounds about right, it was outfitted by Brian & co up at the Barrington Adventure Center.

Hopefully we'll get a little bump and it'll be 2.5 - 2.6 tomorrow morning. Hoping to set off from Pine Island by 9am, we might see you out there (hopefully not overtaking us as we try and deal with a wrap!). The rest of the kayakers in our group have pulled out so it's just the raft, and me chase boating.

I'll be sure to post back here how it goes  Grin

Starts to get a little chunky around 9 meters   Grin

Noice. I expect you have to start worrying about the strainer potential in the Tuggeranong suburbs at that level?

reggie12yak

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 08:20:31 PM »

3 thwarts sounds like a 13.6 or 14 footer. Big raft. At 2.6 You will have no problems getting it through. Once it gets down to 2.2 you'll get stuck.

Probably would not run toaster at 2.6 unless you are very competent or you double guide it.  This is rapid after chasm. Drop river right with nasty undercut river right and a cave you cant see under the rock the left of the drop. One of my guides swam through it many years ago thats how we found it. Ther is chicken shoot river left here but you will have to line your raft through as it is too narrow at this level.Have a good paddle
sbm

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 02:58:11 PM »

Well they did it and had a blast. We ran it yesterday, level was about 2.45. (though looking at the level this morning, we should have waited another day!) The raft is apparently a 14 footer. There was a bit of bouncing and shoving needed at times, but they navigated everything fine. Definitely wouldn't try it with any less water though.

Took 4 or 5 hours with a big break or two at junkyard/chasm portage. (We also cut out a branch that was overhanging Junkyard)

The day's close call was accidentally running Toaster after they missed the eddy - James at least managed to get them pointed forward. The Gopro evidence is damning - it clearly shows James screaming at everyone to paddle while the rest of the crew chats and goofs off! They hit the boulder on the right but came out...when I saw the raft go off the drop and stop dead, I had a heart in mouth moment before it started moving again. At least they had luck Undecided

We also managed to get a second lap in just with the kayaks - we ran into Nick H at the Kambah car park which was great.

I'll post film/photos if they surface.

sbm

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 10:03:14 PM »

Here's some pics from Junkyard: http://imgur.com/a/pkmsi

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: