Author Topic: Dagger Mamba Creeker 8.1 for beginner?  (Read 8280 times)

Offline neddy

• View Profile
Dagger Mamba Creeker 8.1 for beginner?
« on: August 20, 2017, 06:24:57 PM »
Hi All,
I've been keen to get into whitewater kayaking for a while now, but sadly, have done nothing about it. I was browsing in a local shop the other day & I see a brand new Dagger Mamba Creeker for just under a grand (which seems like a pretty good deal) & I think, this is it, just buy it a get out there. But then, I think, it's still almost a grand, maybe you should go home & do a bit more research, which is exactly what happened. I've done the usual Google searches, but found it to be a minefield of information (river runner, creeker, hard or soft chines etc.), I found myself going around in circles & thought I'd throw it out there to the Canberra whitewater community for advice.
I have no experience whitewater kayaking, a bit in a sports raft & plenty in a sea kayak & on a waveski, so like to think I have the basics of paddling down. I'm located on the NSW south coast, so would be looking to start out on the Shoalhaven & Murrumbidgee. The boat is an 8.1, I'm 182cm & 78kg.
Any thoughts on whether this boat would be a good place to start (or not) would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Brad.

Offline alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dagger Mamba Creeker 8.1 for beginner?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 05:28:06 PM »
Hey Brad, this forum is pretty quiet these days.  The Kayak Canberra facebook group is a lot more active: https://www.facebook.com/groups/565201630237337/

The mamba will be an awesome first boat and that sounds like a great deal.  You're getting a brand new boat at second hand prices so if you do decide it's not for you you'll be able to recover most of your $$$.   Plenty of advanced paddlers out there paddling this boat, it's not going to hold you back as your skills develop!

Offline neddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 08:03:57 PM »
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the response, much appreciated. I figured it was a pretty good deal.

I tried to join the Facebook group, but did not seem to work. Now, I just get the following message

Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.
Go back to the previous page • Go to News Feed • Visit our Help Center

I'm a Facebook novice & have no idea how this all works, but will definitely be keen to get involved in the future once I have a boat.

Thanks again, hopefully see you out there on the river in the not too distant future.

Neddy.

Offline neddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 07:26:56 PM »
Hi all,
I'm now the proud owner of a Dagger, two actually, the Mamba & an Alchemy sea kayak, was too good a deal to pass up. Picked them both up for $2k with 2 x spray skirts thrown in, both brand new. The shop (BBQ's Galore of all places) have had the stock for ages & just wanted to get rid of them. The Mamba is an older model, but damn, the price was right.
Now just need some rain on the Shoalhaven to give her a test run, will try to sort out the Facebook group issues & hook up with some more experienced paddlers on the Bidgee if you'll have me along.
Cheers,
Neddy.